We know, sometimes New Year’s Resolutions are tough to stick to, but these five simple car care routines are quick and easy to maintain. (We’d say easier than not eating carbs or sticking to a five-day-a-week exercise routine.) Consider these pointers (and general recommendations) to be just a few little reminders to do the basic things to keep your car running into 2018 and beyond! Think about it – you can still be a responsible adult and eat bread, but not so much if your insurance is expired or you can’t remember the last time you got an oil change.
- Wash or get your car washed regularly. This is one of those little things that falls to the side after a while. Keeping your car washed and clean can help maintain visibility and extend the life of your vehicle’s paint coat.
- Check the oil. Making sure you always have enough motor oil in the engine is a simple thing to check, and relatively cheap to maintain – much cheaper than auto repairs arising from oil neglect. Plain and simple, oil is a non-negotiable.
- Check your tires. Take just a couple extra minutes in the morning, and make sure your tires aren’t going flat on you, or suffering from any type of damage. Use the penny trick to check your tread – simply place a penny headfirst into several tread grooves across the tire. If you always see the top of Lincoln’s head, your treads are shallow and worn. If part of Lincoln’s head is always covered by the tread, you have more than 2/32 of an inch of dread depth remaining, which means you probably don’t need new tires.
- Stick to your vehicle manufacturer’s maintenance schedule. Yes, we know, you hear this all the time. Even still, we can’t stress enough how important regular maintenance, like oil changes, are to the life of your car and your engine.
- Keep your vehicle insurance up to date. Not only does valid car insurance provide you with worry-free driving for the year, it’s mandatory! Take a moment to make sure your proof of insurance is in your car and your necessary stickers are current.
If you stay on top of these five tasks for your car this year, the other road bumps you may encounter won’t be so bad. But for any issues you do run into, you can count on us to make things right. Make an appointment online or give us a call!
Your Car Care Conscious
(aka Aardvark Automotive)